Tuesday, March 17, 2009

FOODFOODFOOD

As many of you may already know, I am obsessed with baking and food.

That being said, my very good friend Mike has recently decided to experiment with veganism and in doing so has become very interested in cooking. So the other night, we decided to make MOCHI!!!



Now if you're unfamiliar with Mochi, it's a traditional japanese dessert made basically from sweet rice flour and sugar. We found a recipe on Vegan Yum Yum, my favorite new vegan food blog, that literally took us 10 minutes to make. I'm sure it's one of the newest posts, but it was a very lucky discovery since I had to make something for class and was having a hard time deciding what I wanted to experiment with.

It went over really well in class and we were pretty pleased with ourselves as well. It was our first time every making mochi, and we made our own Anko for the filling too (a filling made of sugary adzuki beans that is commonly used in a lot of japanese baked goods). Overall it was a good experiment.

I just wish that I had way more time, because I absolutely love baking and trying new things. This summer will be baking all the time, I promise!

This week is Peanut Butter birthday cake for Nick Dahl's birthday! Yay!

3 comments:

TheMOSTfresh said...

So good and so surprisingly easy! I still think we should experiment with different fruit/fillings and definitely remember the food coloring next time... bright blue mochi? YES PLEASE! Next tandem endeavor... gin and tonic vegan cupcakes!?

Margot said...

wow, those look great, and that blog is awesome! i'm gonna go buy what i need to make it tomorrow :) nomnomnom.

Jme said...

MOCHI MADNESS!

I think we should tandem the cupcakes AND another round of mochi. But we should hit up united noodles for some ingredient ideas!